Most of the phones like Samsung S20 supports various biometrics options to secure the phone, including Fingerprint, Face Unlock, and those traditional PIN, Password and Pattern and so does the Samsung S20. To fix the Galaxy S20 fingerprint scanner not working, you’ll be guided through potential solutions right in this article.
To save a few minutes, kindly check there is no dirt or oil present on the ultrasonic rub that section of the display with a smooth cloth, and reboot the phone. This would do a trick to fix Fingerprint Scanner not working on Samsung S20.
- 1 Fix Galaxy S20 Not Recognizing My Fingerprint
- 1.1 Verify if it is a Hardware Issue
- 1.2 Enable Screen Sensitivity
- 1.3 Trick 1: Clean the screen
- 1.4 Trick 2: Update to the latest software version available
- 1.5 Trick 3: Delete and Add Fingerprint
- 1.6 Now you need to re-enter the fingerprint,
- 1.7 Trick 4: Improve Screen Sensitivity
- 1.8 Trick 5: Clear Cache from Recovery Mode
- 1.9 Trick 6: Remove the screen protector
- 1.10 Trick 7: Factory Reset
- 1.11 Contact Samsung Care
Fix Galaxy S20 Not Recognizing My Fingerprint
Verify if it is a Hardware Issue
Before digging into the troubleshoot, why not verify if it is a hardware or software glitch? Even when you visit the Samsung store, they may begin with this trick to determine the root cause of the fingerprint not the working issue.
- Open the Phone app.
- Dial *#0*#.
- Choose Sensors.
- Select Fingerprint Scanner.
- Place your finger on the fingerprint scanner and test if it is identifying or not.
If yes, then its just a software glitch that can be eliminated from the below tricks or else for the hardware problem, you’ll need expert assistance from the Samsung Care.
Enable Screen Sensitivity
If you feel the touch sensitivity is behaving unusual, then enabling the screen sensitivity of the phone will help you access the functions real fast. Besides, after covering the phone with a screen protector, you must use the Touch Sensitivity feature for faster operations.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Display.
- Find Touch Sensitivity and enable it.
Trick 1: Clean the screen
As the Samsung Galaxy S20 has an under-display fingerprint, so firstly you need to clean it with a microfiber cloth. There could be the presence of smudge, dust, or dirt on the screen would lead to a little minor effect on the fingerprint on screen as it uses a 3D image of a finger.
Trick 2: Update to the latest software version available
No matter which device you use, but things matter is your device should have the latest software version. Software update not only brings the new feature but also make the device bug free from the current issue. Before updating the device ensure that your device is fully charged and connected to Wi-Fi. To confirm that your device has software updates follow the given below steps.
- Tap Settings.
- Go to System Update.
- Select Check for system updates.
- If their update available, tap Download and Install.
One thing you need to do is just reboot your Samsung Galaxy S20 because all the update is perfectly implemented.
Trick 3: Delete and Add Fingerprint
There is much unknown reason that can cause a fingerprint scanner issue. If that the reason, try to delete and add a fingerprint. To delete the fingerprint follow the given below steps.
- Access App Tray.
- Navigate to Settings Icon.
- Go to Biometric & Security.
- Select Fingerprints. And enter the PIN or Password.
- To remove all the fingerprints just touch and hold a fingerprint, on the upper left there will be blue checkmark visible. Tap on Checkmark.
- Hit Remove.
Now you need to re-enter the fingerprint,
- Access App Tray.
- Go to Settings.
- Hit Lock Screen.
- Tap Fingerprint.
- Enter the PIN or Password.
- Hit Add Fingerprint. Enter the Password or PIN.
- Follow the instruction highlighted on the screen until the procedure is finished.
- Select Done.
Finally, you have registered your fingerprint after that verify the issue. if it is not fixed move further to the next procedure.
Trick 4: Improve Screen Sensitivity
In this case, it is better to improve the screen sensitivity, especially when the issue like this occur. Sometimes poorly applied screen protectors can decrease touchscreen performance. So try to increase the screen sensitivity and verify the issue.
- Go to Settings.
- Search and hit Display.
- Swipe and hit Touch Sensitivity.
- Tap toggle to turn ON to increase sensitivity.
Trick 5: Clear Cache from Recovery Mode
One thing that will definitely come in the user mind, what is Recovery? Recovery mode is nothing but a bootable partition that includes a recovery app installed in the device. Doing so will fix the minor issue in the device. Follow the given below steps.
- Switch off the Samsung Galaxy S20.
- Press the Bixby + Power Buttons and simultaneously press the Volume Low Button until the Android logo appears.
- Recovery Screen Menu will be highlighted.
- Hold the Volume Key to scroll towards Wipe Cache Partition and hold the Power Button to select.
- Hold the Power Button to reboot Samsung Galaxy S20.
Trick 6: Remove the screen protector
If you have applied a screen protector, try to remove it and verify the issue. Low-quality or poorly applied screen guard may decrease the fingerprint scanner’s efficiency. If still it is not fixed move forward to the advanced procedure.
Trick 7: Factory Reset
The factory is pre-installed that uses the software to clear data stored in the internal memory of Samsung Galaxy S20. And it returns the device to default settings. It reset all the applications as well as the stored memory and mainly performed to fix the major bug in the device.
Note: Backup all the important data stored in the device before performing it.
- Go to Settings.
- Swipe and hit General Management.
- Select Reset.
- Tap Factory Data Reset.
- Hit Reset.
- Select Delete All to Confirm.
Contact Samsung Care
Still if you are experiencing issues with a fingerprint on Samsung S20, head over to the Samsung care, if it’s a hardware fault they will look into it and resolve your fingerprint not working on Samsung S20 problem correctly.
- How to Enable System-Wide Dark Mode on your Galaxy S20Ultra, S20, S20Plus
- How to Use WhatsApp Dark Mode on Galaxy S20, S10, Note 10
- Best Galaxy S20Plus Clear Cases
- Best Wallet Cases for Galaxy S20